PATCH RFC: wpa_supplicant influencing device operstate

Stefan Rompf stefan
Fri Mar 3 15:04:54 PST 2006

Hi,

some weeks ago, there has been a quite heated discussion on linux-netdev about
extending functionality of netif_carrier_on()/off(). In the end, a patch
written by me has been applied for 2.6.17. For an overview, see the
documentation at http://www.flamewarmaster.de/software/operstates.txt . The
patch itself (applies to 2.6.14+) can be found on this site too. Main point
concerning this list is that it allows an userspace supplicant to signal the
kernel when the interface is ready for user traffic after authentication, and
afterwards, kernel notifies other programs via the existing IFF_RUNNING
interface.

The quagga routing daemon, vrrpd and my new dhcp client
(http://www.flamewarmaster.de/software/dhcpclient/) can act on these
messages.

I have attached a patch against wpa_supplicant 0.5.1 to this mail that
implements signalling functionality in the WEXT driver. Note that I haven't
tested how this affects drivers that rely on WEXT functionality - this is a
very first version.

With this extension, I can start wpa_supplicant and my DHCP client in
parallel. Whenever the supplicant has completed association, and WPA
authentication if needed, the DHCP client will automatically update the
interface IP configuration. Together with a graphical wpa_cli (will try
wpa_gui), this increases usability of wireless LANs a lot. In the long run,
I'd like this feature to be added to wpa_supplicant.

Thoughts?

Stefan