network speed with wpa_supplicant

Gentoopower gentoopower
Wed Mar 1 08:02:30 PST 2006

Dan Werner wrote:
> Well, I did another test that surprised me a little.  I tried to
> download one of the twit.tv <http://twit.tv> podcasts.  Those come
> from AOL Radio, which always has a lot of bandwidth.  My Win2k pc got
> like 120 KB per second, and the laptop did better but still only
> topped out at 69 KB per second.  These tests were again one right
> after the other.
Then there must be something wrong

> My laptop is right next to my Win2k pc, so it ought to be similar in
> terms of connecting to my router.
>
> I guess if my connection is capable of 69 KB a second, I can live with
> that, but it's surprising to me that it would be different at all.
Should not be the case if transfers are just around 100KB/s. A wireless
connection lets say 11MBit link can easily take 300KB/s.
What connection speed does the laptop report? 1 Mbit or higher? Since
you say you are next to the router you should have at least a 11MBit
connection