[newbie] hostapd as a proxy RADIUS server for embedded systems

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu Jun 22 20:25:20 PDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 10:18:35AM +0200, Federico Bianchi wrote:

> I would like to use hostapd as an integrated RADIUS/EAP server on a
> Linksys AP; its neighbour Ethernet switch also supports 802.1X, so I am
> planning to use for both wireless and wired authentication. My question
> is: is it possible to use hostapd as a caching proxy RADIUS server? And,
> if so (I think I can), how?

What exactly do you mean with a _caching_ proxy RADIUS server? Where
would your user database reside in this case? hostapd implements IEEE
802.1X Authenticator and RADIUS authentication client that can use an
external RADIUS server. In addition, hostapd includes an integrated
RADIUS/EAP server. However, it does not implement RADIUS proxy
functionality.