Hostap in Ubuntu

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Jun 21 21:19:06 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 11:51:48AM +0200, Pablo Osuna wrote:

> Quick question, I have updated to the last version of Ubuntu, Dapper.
> In /lib/modules/2.6.15-23-386/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/hostap$ I can
> find the modules for hostap, but when I insert a Intersil Prism card I
> see that hostap is loaded from the kernel (0.4.4). Is the new version
> integrated in the kernel or available in modules?

Linux 2.6.15 includes Host AP driver, so I would assume that this module
is indeed from the same kernel version. The version included in the
kernel source code tree is the most recent version.

> Also when I inserted the card there is another module loaded (Hermes)
> besides Hostap. And after, the card is recognized as ethx and not as
> wlanx. How can I use my wireless card with Hostap? Does something need
> to be changed in /etc/ or related to pcmcia?

This has been discussed on the list number of times. I don't remember
the exact configuration on how to do this, but I would expect to be
available with a quick google search (disabling hermes/orinoco_cs).