Obtaining access point connectivity information at application level

Sriram Chadalavada swenggsri
Thu Jun 15 13:43:43 PDT 2006

Dan,
   Thank you for your reply.

I also found out that reading RID FD40 (PortStatus) from the prism card
provides current link status. :
1 = Disabled
2 = Search for initial connection
4 = Connected to access point
5 = Out of range

I wonder why this information is not being provided by the hostap driver in
the 'status' field of /proc/net/wireless.  That would allow wireless tools
to retrieve and display this information.

Madwifi driver (on my laptop) does update the status field with its values
of current link status.

- Sriram