Senao clarifications

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Jun 7 19:20:39 PDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 09:57:04PM +0200, Darckware wrote:

> I have a problems to set the tx-power in my Senao card long range NL-2511 CD
> PLUS EXT2.
> Following is the error of iwconfig:
>
> # iwconfig wlan0 txpower 200 mW
>
> Error for wireless request "Set Tx Power" (8B26) :
>    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.

The current Host AP driver does not support txpower parameter.

> Default dBm is 18 but this Senao card model support 23 dBm!

How did you measure the default power? The driver does not change this
value and the firmware code is free to select whichever power level it
wants to. In other words, I would actually expect the card to use its
maximum power level unless there is a clear indication (e.g., measured
with an external power meter) that this is not the case.