question about network configuration in wpa_supplicant.conf

Bryan Kadzban bryan
Mon Jul 31 19:35:59 PDT 2006

Osho GG wrote:
> On 7/31/06, Bryan Kadzban <bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net> wrote:
>
>> Well, as Jouni said, you could encrypt the password and then also
>> provide a key.  If according to the guidelines a "key" is something
>> different from a "password", then you could automatically connect.
>

> Thanks. I would give this a try. Do you know how the Network
> configuration will look like in wpa_supplicant.conf for using such a
> key?

AFAIK there's no support for a setup like this in wpa_supplicant now;
you (or someone) would have to add it.  But I'm not convinced how secure
a setup like this would be; I personally would not consider a decryption
key to be anything different from a password.  If one is not allowed to
be in a config file, I don't see why the other should be -- someone who
steals the config file can still recover the password, by using the key
that'd be stored there.