hostap 0.4.7 with the 2.6.17 kernel

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Jul 25 21:39:45 PDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 07:18:11PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 01:26 +0300, Jar wrote:
> > For some reason if you run make with 2.6.17 kernel all files in
> > /driver/modules directory are _deleted_.
>
> That's the consequence of the "finger of death" patch by Sam Ravnborg.
> It used to be even worse in 2.6.17 pre-releases, when the modules
> directory would be deleted as well.

Great..

> > But if do the following change
> > to the Makefile:
> >
> > -       $(MAKE) -C $(KERNEL_PATH) SUBDIRS=$(PWD)/driver/modules \
> > -               MODVERDIR=$(PWD)/driver/modules modules
> > +       $(MAKE) -C $(KERNEL_PATH) SUBDIRS=$(PWD)/driver/modules

Is that removing 'modules' target on purpose? Is that really supposed to
work?

> > The files are not deleted and the compiling starts and at this point you
> > can see the messages:
> >
> > #error Host AP driver was added into Linux 2.6.14.
> > #error The version used in the kernel tree should be used instead of this
> > #error external release which is only maintained for old kernel versions.
>
> That makes sense.  Defining MODVERDIR was done primarily for cosmetic
> reasons to avoid having .tmp_versions directory.  Now that MODVERDIR is
> a death sentence to the directory it points to, your patch would be
> helpful.

I don't know whether making a new release of the external driver would
really help much with this. If people are still trying to use the
external driver tree even though the driver has been in the kernel tree
for quite some time, I would be willing to just give up and let them be
bitten with this kind of issues if kernel makefiles are being modified
to destroy files.. To be honest, I don't really have much interest in
making external releases anymore unless a critical issue is found in the
0.4.7 code.