Problems setting the bit rate

Gambhir, Pulkit Pulkit** CTR ** pgambhir
Wed Jul 12 02:14:05 PDT 2006

Hi

I am working with hostap version 0.2.4 on linux kernel version 2.4.20-8 (Red
Hat 9). I have been trying to set the bit rate on my wireless card to 11Mb/s
but am unable to do so. The following is my
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 :

DEVICE=wlan0
ONBOOT=yes
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
TYPE=Wireless
USERCTL=no
MODE=Ad-Hoc
CHANNEL=6
RATE=11Mb/s

I also run an initialsation script using /etc/rc.local, this script is
copied below :

ifconfig wlan0 10.1.2.4 netmask 255.255.255.0
iwconfig wlan0 essid boo
iwconfig wlan0 channel 6
iwconfig wlan0 mode Ad-Hoc
iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M fixed
prism2_param wlan0 pseudo_ibss 1
hostap_rid wlan0 set fc85 01 00

I have two machines, both using the same initialisation scripts (except for
the IP address of course). One of the machine always seems to kick back to
2Mb/s (displayed using iwconfig) on booting up while the other continues to
show 11Mb/s. Here is the output of hostap_diag -r wlan0 | grep RATE on the
machine that runs on 2Mb/s :

49:FC84=TXRATECONTROL=8
52:FCB3=CNFBASICRATES=<08><00>
53:FCB4=CNFSUPPORTEDRATES=<08><00>
82:FD44=CURRENTTXRATE=2
101:FDC6=SUPPORTEDDATARATES=<02><04><0b><16>

I have tried to do 'iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M fixed' and also 'hostap_rid
wlan0 set FD44 08 00' but neither seems to be able to change the bit rate
back to 11Mb/s. How can I set this bit rate to a fixed 11Mb/s ?

Thanks,
Pulkit