wpa_supplicant: problems with EAP-SIM

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu Jan 26 06:25:49 PST 2006

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 02:08:41PM +0000, Pete Young wrote:

> I did wonder about that - in EAP-SIM terms, the identity is the
> IMSI number and it should be up to the client to read it off the
> Sim.

This is correct and explicit identity configuration should not be needed
when using EAP-SIM with a real SIM card.

> I tried putting identity="imsi number" into the config and it did
> cause the client to generate a Response message to the authenticator,
> containing the IMSI.

Please note that you need to prefix the IMSI number with 1 when using
EAP-SIM.

> EAP: using real identity - hexdump_ascii(len=15):
>       32 33 35 37 37 32 37 30 31 32 30 30 35 30 36      235772701200506

That should have had 1 (hex 31) before the IMSI.

> EAP: Received EAP-Failure

This is likely caused by the missing '1'.

Anyway, your previous debug log was pointing out that there was a
problem with PIN code used with the card. Please make sure that the PIN
is configured correctly and also send a full debug log from the
beginning of the wpa_supplicant run.

Did you add PCSC code into the supplicant .config without possibly
rebuilding everything? Running 'make clean; make' may be a good idea to
make sure that everything is build with the same configuration.