ad-hoc and WPA-personel

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Jan 4 20:49:10 PST 2006

On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 06:05:21PM +0000, Michael Fisher wrote:
> Ive search the mailing list and i saw some topics on ad-hoc and WPA
> personel from september 2005. At the end it was stated that work was
> being done, now im wondering if this work as been compleated? other
> issues im wondering about is does it work with atheros based radios and
> is the feature supported in freebsd?

WPA in ad-hoc mode is not really something that I would like to
recommend for anyone, but the supplicant side (i.e., just configuring a
TKIP/CCMP key) is done. However, there is not support for storing used
sequence numbers which makes it possible to replay old packets. Then
again, this is probably not the worst security problem of this mode..

I have only tested WPA in adhoc mode with Host AP driver (if I remember
correctly) and couple of Windows NDIS drivers. I don't know whether it
is supported in the FreeBSD driver.