Association Problems. (WPA_Supplicant 0.5.1 + Madwifi-ng 20060210)

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Feb 25 08:05:08 PST 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 11:01:01AM +0100, Renaud Roques wrote:

> When I try to scan the APs with iwlist, I obtain good results. I see the 3
> AP in my range, but when I use WPA_Supplicant, I cannot associate. Here is
> the log of wpa_supplicant and the configuration file I use.

> In the Log, I don't understand two things :
> The line :
> SIOCGIWRANGE: too old (short) data - assuming WPA is not supported
> Because the card I use is Cisco Aironet 802.11 a/b/g and is supporting WPA
> (I used WPA with it before, when I used old madwifi drivers...)

The driver does not report capability information in SIOCGIWRANGE, so it
is assumed not to support WPA. Anyway, this information is not currently
used to limit which modes can be used, so it does not prevent WPA/WPA2
from being used.

> And here :
> Received 733 bytes of scan results (3 BSSes)
> Scan results: 3
> Authentication with 00:00:00:00:00:00 timed out.
>
> He has 3 scan results and he is still trying to authenticate with
> 00:00:00:00:00:00 ... Why ?

It does not; 00:00:00:00:00:00 is shown because no AP was yet selected
by wpa_supplicant. Scan results are not used since you were using
ap_scan=2 mode.

> -------------
> Config File :
> -------------
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> eapol_version=1
> ap_scan=2
> fast_reauth=1
>
> network={
>   ssid="my_ssid"
>   scan_ssid=1
>   key_mgmt= WPA_EAP
>   pairwise=TKIP
>   group=TKIP
>   eap=LEAP
>   identity="user"
>   password="pass"
> }

You need to configure proto=WPA (or proto=WPA2) in the network block
when using ap_scan=2. In this case, you have in practice configured
wpa_supplicant to try to use WPA2 by leaving this field out and I would
assume your AP is not using WPA2 since the driver did not associate. If
adding proto field does not fix this, I would suggest trying with
ap_scan=1 mode to make sure that the security parameters match with the
AP configuration.