RADIUS-assigned VLANs and hostapd

Oliver Gorwits oliver.gorwits
Wed Feb 8 10:53:25 PST 2006

Hi folks,

This isn't something I expect hostapd to do directly, but was wondering if
any of you had experience with this topic...

Do there exist any solutions for using RADIUS-assigned VLANs (under either
Linux or BSD) after hostapd 802.1X authentication?

Some vendors' access points, when acting as the 802.1X Authenticator, can
place an authenticated client's traffic into a particular VLAN (by mapping
an authorized PAE to a VLAN, I guess). Any ideas for how to go about doing
this with a hostapd-based system?

I've googled around and also looked in the list archives back to 2004-01,
and not found much, except for the following use (extension?) of hostapd
which appears to support VLAN assignment:

http://www.devicescape.com/docs/wip/package_guide/pkg_hostapd.php#wp168055

Many thanks for any guidance offered,

regards,
oliver.
--
Oliver Gorwits, Network Infrastructure Group,
Oxford University Computing Services