wpa_supplicant crashes under Windows XP

Jim Howard JHoward
Mon Feb 6 09:16:40 PST 2006

Hello,

I have an application that launches wpa_supplicant via the windows
create process api. In this application wap_supplicant connects to
various wpa-psk networks, sometimes tkip, sometimes AES, and sometimes
this IEEE D9/WPA2 flavor of WPA-PSK.

I have found that wpa_supplicant will usually crash after one to three
hours of operation.

The computer is a Dell Optiplex running Windows XP. This crash happens
with several different adapters and access points.  Apparently the crash
happens after an uncommanded disassociation from the desired access
point.

Typical console output prior to the crash is:

RSN: PMKID candidate event - bssid=00:d0:59:e1:01:94 index=9 preauth=0
RSN: Ignored PMKID candidate without preauth flag
NDIS: 10: 00:0f:66:62:c3:0f Flags 0x0
RSN: PMKID candidate event - bssid=00:0f:66:62:c3:0f index=10 preauth=0
RSN: Ignored PMKID candidate without preauth flag
NDIS: 11: 00:15:63:3c:97:c0 Flags 0x0
RSN: PMKID candidate event - bssid=00:15:63:3c:97:c0 index=11 preauth=0
RSN: Ignored PMKID candidate without preauth flag
NDIS: event - type 2
NDIS: ignored event for intermediate miniport
NDIS: event - type 2
NDIS: ignored event for intermediate miniport
NDIS: ReqFixed=0x0 RespFixed=0x0 off_req=0 off_resp=0 len_req=0
len_resp=0
NDIS: 0 BSSID items to process for AssocInfo
Association info event
req_ies - hexdump(len=0):
resp_ies - hexdump(len=0):
WPA: clearing own WPA/RSN IE
State: COMPLETED -> ASSOCIATED
Associated to a new BSS: BSSID=00:00:00:00:00:00

Note that wpa_supplicant thinks it has associated with a BSSID value of
all zeros.

Is it possible that this all zero bssid is causing my crashes?

Thanks

Jim Howard
jhoward at affinegy.com