wpa_supplicant claims AP doesn't do WPA

Paul LeoNerd Evans leonerd
Thu Dec 28 09:01:31 PST 2006

[repost for the list]

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 10:01:27PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> If your driver doesn't support returning the WPA IE in the scan results,
> it's certainly not going to work with WPA and wpa_supplicant.  Smells
> like a driver problem.
>
> What driver are you using?  Does that driver really support WPA?  What
> hardware version is your card?

Oh? I thought that was the point of wpa_supplicant? To do things in
software that the hardware can't do..? So it wouldn't matter what the
hardware driver natively supports. Or, do I have the wrong end of the
stick here?

> Is it prism or prism2 based?  What
> firmware version are you using?  Linksys has a long history of calling
> something the same product name but switching out chipsets; you may not
> have the card you think you do.

OK, how might I find out these details? I presume some poking in proc?
I note it doesn't appear in lspci, though I understand that's normal for
PCMCIA cards.

> Do an lsmod and lets see what driver the kernel is binding to your card.

The following I guess:

orinoco_cs             15556  1
orinoco                34388  1 orinoco_cs
hermes                  7200  2 orinoco_cs,orinoco
pcmcia                 33788  1 orinoco_cs

> If you're using 'orinoco' drivers, they don't do WPA.  You might try
> blacklisting the orinoco ones and using the 'hostap' driver instead.

OK.. I'll build myself another kernel with hostap in there as well, and
try that out. Thanks for the suggestion

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd at leonerd.org.uk
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/