ndiswrapper/wpa fails but rt2x00/wpa works with identical card/config

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Dec 24 08:11:11 PST 2006

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 03:17:37AM +0000, re2823 at Safe-mail.net wrote:

> I have an rt2561-based pci wireless card that I'm trying to use with
> wpa_supplicant. When I use the rt2x00 drivers, wpa_supplicant connects
> successfully, but because the drivers are still alpha, the speed is very
> bad. When I use ndiswrapper, wpa_supplicant fails to connect at all.
> Since I am using the same /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and the same command
> line ("wpa_supplicant -w -d -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa.conf") both times,
> I assume that the problem is something to do with ndiswrapper (I could
> be wrong).

> http://www.carbon.eclipse.co.uk/wpa/rt2x00Success
> http://www.carbon.eclipse.co.uk/wpa/ndiswrapperFail

Both of these look a bit odd.. It looks like there are major problems
getting anything through to the AP in time. Could you please run a test
with timestamps enabled in the debug log (-t added to the wpa_supplicant
command line)? If you have possibility of running a wireless sniffer to
capture the frames between the AP and the client, that could also
provide useful data on the problem.

WPA 4-way handshake has relatively small timeouts on the messages and it
looks like the AP is either not receiving the response from the client
at all or the response is coming too late.

How fast is the system on which you are running wpa_supplicant? Is the
debug output written to a file (> file)? Have you tested with debugging
disabled?