Manfid typographical error in hostap_cs.c for Dlink dwl-650p?

re2823 at Safe-mail.net re2823
Sun Dec 24 04:54:44 PST 2006

-------- Original Message --------
From: Jar <jar at pcuf.fi>
> Could it be that you card lacks the firmware image in its flash memory
> and it should be loaded when the card is initialized? See:
>
> "config HOSTAP_FIRMWARE
>          bool "Support downloading firmware images with Host AP driver"
>          depends on HOSTAP
>          ---help---
>          Configure Host AP driver to include support for firmware image
>          download. This option by itself only enables downloading to the
>          volatile memory, i.e. the card RAM. This option is required to
>          support cards that don't have firmware in flash, such as D-Link
>          DWL-520 rev E and D-Link DWL-650 rev P.
>
>          Firmware image downloading needs a user space tool, prism2_srec.
>          It is available from http://hostap.epitest.fi/.
> "
>
> I don't know if the firmware can be loaded via kernel firmware
> downloading system by just copy the correct firmware images to
> /lib/firmware or equivalent directory. Or is the prism2_srec tool really
> needed.
>
> You can try with pm010102.hex and rf010704.hex firmware files from
> http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/firmware/1.7.4/

Only one problem - all the documentation talks about invoking the firmware
loader with a particular interface name:

In hostap-utils/README:
Usage:
  prism2_srec [-vvrgfdpisD] [-P <PDA file>] [-O <PDA binary>] <interface> \
              <srec file name> [srec file name]

Also, in hostap-utils/hostap-fw-load:
IFNAME=$1
DIR=/proc/net/hostap/$IFNAME

The latter makes me think that there should be something in my
/proc/net/hostap but this is empty :(

> See also:
>
> http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism

This also talks about a wlan0, which I don't have...

> and
>
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-pcmcia/2005-July/002253.html

Yes, this person has exactly the same problem as me (no wlan0)

> > After reading http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.hostap/7384
> > I also added the following to /etc/pcmcia/hostap_cs.conf:
> >
> > card "Dlink Weird Card"
> >   manfid 0x000b, 0x7110
> >   bind "hostap_cs"
>
> The old system (pcmcia-cs) reads the hostap_cs.conf file, but not the
> new system (pcmciautils). The same info is build inside the hostap_cs
> module itself. I think the old and new system can't coexist simultaneously.

I'll try a fresh debian (etch) and see what's installed by default.

Jaime