wpa_supplicant fails and reports weird AP address in association

Sergio Callegari scallegari
Tue Dec 12 05:38:13 PST 2006

Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 12:15 +0100, Sergio Callegari wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to set up a wireless network including an Hamlet access
>> point and a Linux laptop with an intel 3945 wireless interface.
>>
>> Everything is fine as long as I limit myself to WEP security.
>>
>> If I try to use WPA security with wpa_supplicant, things stop working.
>>
>> Precisely I am getting the following problem
>>
>> running
>>
>>     wpa_supplicant -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D wext
>>
>> with the following wpa_supplicant.conf
>> network={
>>         ssid="XXXXXXXXX"
>>         scan_ssid=1
>>         proto=WPA
>>         key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
>>         psk="secure"
>>

> Is it really something with quotes?  First, try using the
> 'wpa-passhprase' tool or copy the actual _hex_ key from your AP's
> configuration screen, and paste it into your wpa_supplicant
> configuration like so:
>
> 	psk=11bbccddeeff223399...
>
> i.e., _don't_ use quotes, and use the hexadecimal key rather than using
> quotes here.  If you use quotes, wpa_supplicant interprets the config
> option as a string, which clearly isn't what you want here.  And I don't
> believe that wpa_supplicant supports passphrase hashing for WPA
> internally, that's what wpa-passphrase is for.
>
> Dan
I believe you can either supply as the psk an exadecimal key or a
string.  In the latter case, wpa supplicant should convert it
automatically into a hex key using the same algorithm as
wpa-passphrase... at least, this is what I get from the docs:

"wpa-psk will accept a plaintext string enclosed in quotation marks this
is equivalent to the 'wpa-passphrase' option"

For instance, this is the example that man wpa_supplicant.conf gives me:

network={
               ssid="home"
               scan_ssid=1
               key_mgmt=WPA-PSK