INTERFACE_ADD: is returning an "UNKNOWN COMMAND"

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Aug 26 14:54:52 PDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 10:34:20AM -0700, George S. Lockwood wrote:

> Requesting the INTERFACE_ADD seems to always return  "UNKNOWN COMMAND".

Please see end of README for some more details about interface_add. This
command is used with the global control interface and if used with
per-interface ctrl_iface, it will indeed return "UNKNOWN COMMAND". In
case of Windows named pipes, wpa_ctrl_open() will need to be used with
NULL as the interface name to open the global connection.

> The format I am trying is: INTERFACE_ADD
> -i\Device\NPF_{556DEBC4-B686-4A77-A2D8-7F34F3A5708F} which is a valid
> wifi nic (supplicant service uses this in the registry at its
> startup).
>
> Format doesn't seem to matter: with the -i prepend or without. with
> following tabs or not.

The current CVS devel branch would allow this with, e.g., following
command:

wpa_cli -gglobal interface_add {GUID..} "" ndis ctrl

(please note that a bug in wpa_cli was fixed today, so this does indeed
need to be current version to work)

> What is the purpose of this function anyway?  I am hoping it will
> instruct the supplicant or service to use the specified guid just like
> the command line "-i" does for the supplicant.

It will add a new network interface. You can first start wpa_supplicant
without any interfaces:

wpa_supplicant -gglobal

and then use the wpa_cli command (or INTERFACE_ADD with same parameters
if not using wpa_cli) to add a new interface.

The parameters for INTERFACE_ADD are ifname(GUID) confname driver
ctrl_iface driver_param bridge_name and all parameters after ifname are
option. However, ctrl_iface needs to be set if per-interface ctrl_iface
is going ot be used.