wpa_supplicant does not work properly with some USB adapters on WinXP

Adrian Nistor anistor
Tue Aug 22 00:36:19 PDT 2006

I also (naturally) thought that the InstanceName from the event is the same
as the Name property of Win32_NetworkAdapter. It seems to be true in most
cases. Except for pluggable devices. Every time you unplug the card and
stick it back into the USB port, something very strange happens: the
InstanceName changes. A #1 is appended to the name, then #2, #3 ... and so
on every time you unplug it and plug it back again. The situation is very
similar if you have 2 identical adapters attached to the same computer (and
I have :-(). Their instance name will be different. Unfortunatelly the name
property of the Win32_NetworkAdapter is not changed by the OS, so it will
never match the IntanceName except for the first time the adapter is
installed on the computer (only one adapter). Pretty weird. I think this
might be a bug in the WMI provider (it is already known to have many bugs).

The good news is that the Name property of the Win32_PnPEntity class is
always in sync with the InstanceName as a new Win32_PnPEntity instance is
created every time you plug the adapter. And it is easy to navigate the
association from the pnp entity to the win32_networkadapter.

This is why I first select from WMI the PNPEntity and the navigate to
win32_networkadapter and then to win32_networkadapterconfiguration to get
the GUID.

Bye