WZC: Keeping it on with version 0.5.4

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu Aug 3 18:58:57 PDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 03:21:43PM -0700, George S. Lockwood wrote:
> I'd prefer to have the Windows Wireless Service running with the
> wpa_supplicant.  Version 0.5.4 turns WZC off in its init function but while
> commenting that one line does keep WZC alive, the supplicant connects then
> disconnects moments later.

It's not wpa_supplicant disconnecting later--it's WZC killing the
connection.. Could you please explain what exactly you are trying to do
and why WZC should be controlling the same interface as wpa_supplicant
at the same time?

> Apparently, there are other issues.  What might they be?

If you have two programs trying to control the same interface, end
result is not going to be very stable.. WZC requests the driver to
disconnect in such a case and in addition, it tries to process EAPOL
packets which makes negotiations quite confusing since two different
supplicants are trying to process the packets.

> I know that the earlier versions leave WZC running so I could go back and
> build my modifications on it.  However, I'd like to use the very latest and
> not miss the new enhancements and bug fixes.

With earlier versions, you were required to disable WZC manually. The
fact that WZC must be disabled has not changed; 0.5.4 is just able to do
it automatically.