wpa_supplicant + WPA + ipw2200 stopped working

dark_mail at gmx.net dark_mail
Wed Apr 19 03:34:20 PDT 2006

I tried to send this message to the mailing list once, but it seems the
moderator is too busy to looks after the mails of unsubscribed people, so I
just quote my on mail and add some more recent information below.

[old message]
I don't know if this mailinglist is the right one for my problem, but I'm in
a rather desperate mood right now.

I'm using wpa_supplicant 4.8.0 on a laptop with ipw2200 chipset and gentoo
linux.
Throughout the last days I managed to get wpa_supplicant to work with my
dlink-524 wireless router.
It seems that the router doesn't really support WPA2 as although shown in
the menu, but I can live with WPA, too.

Yesterday my WLAN was working smoothly, and when I wanted to use it today it
just timed out.
Before that I didn't do too much, as far as I can remember. I just
recompiled ipw2200 and ieee80211 as the program module-rebuild (supposed to
reemerge packages who need their kernel modules to be recompiled) showed
them to need recompiling. Still now the program lists them, which is a bit
odd. I'm running a 2.6.16 kernel with suspend patches.

I normally connect to the router via /etc/init.d/net.eth1 start, but even
with a 60 seconds limit t times out.

when I run wpa_supplicant directly with debugging on, I get lots of stuff
and some success messages at the end

[code]
WPA: Key negotiation completed with 00:15:e9:0b:8b:5c [PTK=TKIP GTK=TKIP]
Cancelling authentication timeout
State: GROUP_HANDSHAKE -> COMPLETED
CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:15:e9:0b:8b:5c completed (auth)
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=1
EAPOL: External notification - EAP success=1
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state AUTHENTICATING
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state SUCCESS
EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state AUTHENTICATED
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state IDLE
EAPOL: startWhen --> 0
[/code]

So the authentication succeeds, and I also see some link info in gkrellm,
but a ping always returns "Network is unreachable".

Here comes my wpa_supplicant.conf
[code]
network={
ssid="mynetwork"
scan_ssid=1
proto=WPA
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP TKIP
group=CCMP TKIP
psk="somepsk"
priority=1
}
[/code]

I tried both the ascii and hexadecimal version of the passphrase, and it
authenticated anyway.

I tried both getting an IP from the router and providing one in the laptop
config, didn't change anything.

I don't know if the router screwed it up, but I can't remember having
changed anything between the time it worked and the time it stopped working.

I hope you can help or at least provide me with some information where to
get help.

Greetings
[/old message]

I deleted my wpa_supplicant.conf and started it from scratch, but I still
can't establish a connection.

Here comes the output of wpa_supplicant in debug mode.
[code]
Initializing interface 'eth1' conf '/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf'
driver 'wext' ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A'
Configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf' ->
'/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf'
Reading configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf'
ctrl_interface='/var/run/wpa_supplicant'
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=0
fast_reauth=1
Line: 8 - start of a new network block
ssid - hexdump_ascii(len=11):
     68 6f 6d 65 6e 65 74 77 6f 72 6b                  homenetwork
proto: 0x3
key_mgmt: 0x2
pairwise: 0x18
group: 0x18
PSK - hexdump(len=32): [REMOVED]
priority=2 (0x2)
Line: 19 - start of a new network block
ssid - hexdump_ascii(len=6):
     2nd network entry                                 <some other network>

key_mgmt: 0x4
priority=1 (0x1)
Priority group 2
   id=0 ssid='homenetwork'
Priority group 1
   id=1 ssid='<some other network>'
Initializing interface (2) 'eth1'
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
SIOCGIWRANGE: WE(compiled)=19 WE(source)=18 enc_capa=0xf
  capabilities: key_mgmt 0xf enc 0xf
Own MAC address: 00:13:ce:f4:cf:28
wpa_driver_wext_set_wpa
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=0 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=1 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=2 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=3 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
wpa_driver_wext_set_countermeasures
wpa_driver_wext_set_drop_unencrypted
Setting scan request: 0 sec 100000 usec
Added interface eth1
Wireless event: cmd=0x8b06 len=8
RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'eth1' added
RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'eth1' added
Wireless event: cmd=0x8b15 len=20
Wireless event: new AP: 00:15:e9:0b:8b:5c
State: DISCONNECTED -> ASSOCIATED
Associated to a new BSS: BSSID=00:15:e9:0b:8b:5c
No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
Network configuration found for the current AP
WPA: No WPA/RSN IE available from association info
WPA: Set cipher suites based on configuration
WPA: Selected cipher suites: group 24 pairwise 24 key_mgmt 2
WPA: clearing AP WPA IE
WPA: clearing AP RSN IE
WPA: using GTK CCMP
WPA: using PTK CCMP
WPA: using KEY_MGMT WPA-PSK
WPA: Set own WPA IE default - hexdump(len=22): 30 14 01 00 00 0f ac 04 01 00
00 0f ac 04 01 00 00 0f ac 02 00 00
EAPOL: External notification - EAP success=0
EAPOL: External notification - EAP fail=0
EAPOL: External notification - portControl=Auto
Associated with 00:15:e9:0b:8b:5c
WPA: Association event - clear replay counter
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
EAPOL: External notification - EAP success=0
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=1
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state CONNECTING
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state IDLE
Setting authentication timeout: 10 sec 0 usec
RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'eth1' added
EAPOL: startWhen --> 0
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state CONNECTING
EAPOL: txStart
WPA: drop TX EAPOL in non-IEEE 802.1X mode (type=1 len=0)
Authentication with 00:15:e9:0b:8b:5c timed out.
Added BSSID 00:15:e9:0b:8b:5c into blacklist
State: ASSOCIATED -> DISCONNECTED
wpa_driver_wext_disassociate
No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
Setting scan request: 0 sec 0 usec
Wireless event: cmd=0x8b15 len=20
Wireless event: new AP: 00:00:00:00:00:00
BSSID 00:15:e9:0b:8b:5c blacklist count incremented to 2
State: DISCONNECTED -> DISCONNECTED
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
EAPOL: External notification - EAP success=0
CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=0 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=1 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=2 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=3 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=0 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'eth1' added
EAPOL: startWhen --> 0
[/code]

My wpa_supplicant.conf now looks
[code]
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=0
fast_reauth=1

network={
        ssid="homenetwork"
        proto=WPA RSN
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=CCMP TKIP
        group=CCMP TKIP
        #psk="my psk key"
        psk=psk in hex format
        priority=2
}

network={
        ssid="<some other network>"
        key_mgmt=NONE
        priority=1
}
[/code]

I haven't checked my second network with the net config yet, gonna do that
today.