wpa_supplicant and ipw2200-1.1.2 problems

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Apr 2 13:07:03 PDT 2006

On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 08:53:23PM +0100, Pedro Ramalhais wrote:

> I've been checking some stuff with the ipw2200-1.1.2 driver and i think
> the problem you reported with association is that, at some point, the
> driver(or ieee802211) starts sending "Scan request completed" events
> continuosly. It seems wpa_supplicant restarts the association procedure
> whenever it sees one of these events, so it keeps trying to restart the
> association procedure.
> IIRC there was a patch Jean Tourilhes sent that added that to the
> driver(or ieee80211?). Anyway, i don't know what is the expected
> behaviour from the driver, but wpa_supplicant probably shouldn't try to
> restart the association procedure whenever it receives a "Scan request
> completed" request (probably not every driver sends these events).

And it doesn't as long as the selected AP is the same as the currently
associated one. This should show up as follows in the debug log:

< normal authentication >
State: GROUP_HANDSHAKE -> COMPLETED
Wireless event: cmd=0x8b19 len=8
Received 4091 bytes of scan results (21 BSSes)
Scan results: 21
Selecting BSS from priority group 0
0: 00:09:5b:95:e0:4e ssid='jkm private' wpa_ie_len=26 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x11
   selected based on WPA IE
Already associated with the selected AP.
< no authentication/association restarted >

Do you have debug log showing different behavior?