Hostapd + madwifi problem

kasp waters
Tue Sep 27 07:37:16 PDT 2005

Hello!

Problem is solved! I tried to use encryption on other interface (ath3)
and it worked! So - why is this happening?
# dmesg | grep "encryption support"
ath0: H/W encryption support: WEP AES
ath1: H/W encryption support: WEP AES
ath2: H/W encryption support: WEP AES
ath3: H/W encryption support: WEP AES AES_CCM TKIP

This means, that on ath3 I can use CCMP or TKIP without any problems.
As you can see bellow - this is not working on other interfaces. OK,
if I can't use CCMP or TKIP on my other wireless cards, then what encryption
method would fit best in my case? WEP is weak as we can read in
security papers. Is it possible to use AES with hostapd? (CCMP doesn't
work)

P.S. What is the difference between AES and AES_CCM? Are thei both
supported on hostapd & madwifi?

k> Next I've tried to use Hostapd 0.4.4 version, it did compile
k> sucessful, but strange error appears:

k> ./hostapd -dd /etc/hostapd.conf
k> Configuration file: /etc/hostapd.conf
k> madwifi_set_iface_flags: dev_up=0
k> Using interface ath1 with hwaddr 00:01:24:70:32:a0 and ssid 'blabla'
k> madwifi_set_ieee8021x: enabled=1
k> madwifi_configure_wpa: group key cipher=1
k> ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: Invalid argument
k> Unable to set group key cipher to 1
k> IEEE 802.1X initialization failed.
k> madwifi_set_privacy: enabled=0
k> madwifi_set_ieee8021x: enabled=0
k> madwifi_set_iface_flags: dev_up=0

k> Configuration file:

k> hostapd.conf
k> #Configuration for wpa-psk Security profile
k> interface=ath1
k> driver=madwifi
k> logger_syslog=0
k> logger_syslog_level=0