[wpa_supplicant] CONFIG_NO_STDOUT_DEBUG

Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn cristian.ionescu-idbohrn
Wed Sep 21 01:12:20 PDT 2005

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> I don't see much need for built time configuration between
> stdout/stderr/syslog debugging. The main point of CONFIG_NO_STDOUT_DEBUG
> is to be able to remove all the debug strings from the binary, so it
> could be consider to be the CONFIG_NO_DEBUG case in your list.

All right. So, built time configuration CONFIG_NO_DEBUG should remove
all debugging code, including command line options pertaining to
debug.

> stdout and/or syslog could be done as well as a runtime
> configuration (e.g., a command line option).

Debug to stdout or stderr but not both. Actually, it would me more
politically right to use stderr for debug.
But we need some defaults.

* when running in foreground and '-d' command line option, debug
  messages go to stderr; if '-s' option is also present on the command
  line, debug messages will go to syslog too
* when running in background, and '-d' command line option, debug
  messages go to syslog only
* when '-d' command line option is not used, no debug messages will be
  generated

IMHO, I see some need for a few syslog messages when wpa_supplicant is
daemonized, like: started, authenticated, failed, stopped. What do you
think?

It is particulary useful to get syslog messages when running
wpa_supplicant on embeded systems.

Cheers,
Cristian