Can't associate WLAN-card with WPA-access point

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Sep 17 19:14:03 PDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 04:20:37PM +0200, Davy De Winter wrote:

> - I don't manage to associate the wlan-card with this configuration with
> the access-point (WPA encryption). Normally, the association has to take
> place before authentication if I understand everything and the led from
> the wlan-iface keeps flikkering.
> What I do is:
> - iwconfig eth2 essid USR5450
> but when i type iwconfig eth2 i always see the following:
>
> laptop:/usr/src# iwconfig eth2
> eth2      unassociated  ESSID:"USR5450"  Nickname:"ipw2100"
>           Mode:Managed  Channel=0  Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00

WPA requires cipher suite negotiation as part of the association and
just setting the SSID with iwconfig will not allow the driver to
complete association.

> It's still unassociated, and I don't get it associated. (not even after
> unloading and reloading the drivers). Without WPA enabled in the
> access-point, it works like a charm. Do you have to use wpa-supplicant to
> associate in an 802.1x setup?

You will need an addition program, e.g., wpa_supplicant, when using WPA.

> - I someone has a solution for this problem, which tools do I have to use
> to authenticate with the freeradius server via the access-point? Only
> x-supplicant, only wpa-supplicant or both?

You should be able to use either wpa_supplicant or Xsupplicant for this
(i.e., only one of them is needed, not both).