wpa_supplicant: wired driver

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Sep 17 17:57:18 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 03:25:20PM +0200, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:

> I'm trying to use wpa_supplicant, the wired driver, EAP-TLS.
> I've got it working, but also discovered (I think) a small glitch.
> I have to set the nic in promiscuous mode, else it won't see the
> 802.1x frames sent by the switch the nic is connected to.

Which kernel version and which driver are you using?

> My understanding is that both wpa_supplicant and the switch send their
> frames to the multicast address 01:80:c2:00:00:03. wpa_supplicant
> misses frames comming from the switch, like:

That's correct.

> unless the nic in the supplicant side is set in promiscuous mode or
> wpa_supplicant requires PACKET_ADD_MEMBERSHIP with setsockopt.
>
> I'd like to skip the promiscuous mode stuff. Can anyone point me to what
> (and maybe where) I need to add a small hack.

For some reason, all my test systems work without doing this. Anyway,
PACKET_ADD_MEMBERSHIP is indeed what should be done on Linux (and
SIOCADDMULTI on BSD). I modified driver_wired.c to do this. I haven't
been able to verify whether this actually works since my test
configurations work with and without these modifications.

I would appreciate it if you could take the modified version of
driver_wired.c from my CVS repository (or a full devel snapshot, for
that maetter) and let me know whether it resolves this issue in your
setup.