Hardware and software recommendations for testing WPA2+EAP-TLS+AES

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Sep 17 17:22:30 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 05:22:11PM -0700, Michael Wang wrote:

> I'm open to buying any mainstream wifi card, preferably a/b/g. I am
> currently looking at the Netgear WAG511 because it uses the Atheros 5001X or
> 5004X chipset, which supports AES, and there is a firmware upgrade from
> Netgear that says "Added support for WMM and WPA2". I'm assuming AES is
> included in their WPA2 support.

Atheros cards do not use firmware, so I would assume this "firmware" is
just refering to a new NDIS driver.

> My main concern is the interface between wpa_supplicant and the driver.
> Should I use NDIS wrapper (does NDIS wrapper support the WPA2 OID's yet?) or
> should I use MadWifi (does MadWifi support the 802.11i RSN IE?) or something
> else?

In general, I would recommend using native Linux drivers when possible.
Both madwifi and ndiswrapper support WPA2.

> Has anyone else done WPA2+EAP-TLS+AES? What was your config?

I have tested that successfully with both madwifi and ndiswrapper using
Atheros cards and with Host AP driver and Prism2/2.5/3 cards.