maturity of WPA2 AES and PMK caching code in wpa_supplicant

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Sep 13 10:43:21 PDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 10:26:18AM -0700, Michael Wang wrote:

> I was wondering if someone could comment on the maturity of the WPA2 AES and
> PMK caching code in wpa_supplicant?

I consider it to be quite mature.

> Specifically, how many AP's has it been tested against? Is it known to work
> with Aruba or Atheros AP's? Are there many reports of successful usage or
> bugs? Does it support "opportunistic key caching"? (That is an optimization
> for wireless networks that has a single switch acting as the authenticator
> and many AP's attached to that same switch, see the May 2005 Cable Guy
> article on Microsoft Technet)

I don't have any exact details on what has been tested. I have tested
these with multiple APs, but not with Aruba, and I have heard of number
of other people having used these features successfully. I'm not aware
of any bugs. Yes, opportunistic key caching is supported, but not very
throughly tested (or well, at least I haven't done much testing for it).