Virtual WiFi on Linux?

Jim Thompson jim
Wed Oct 19 14:55:01 PDT 2005

On Oct 19, 2005, at 11:26 AM, Jouni Malinen wrote:

>> The Devicescape code uses proprietary firmware (from Neesus) in
>> Prism2/2.5 chipsets in order to implement mBSSID.
>>

> I don't know where you got this idea, but it has nothing to do with
> real world.

OK, if its not true then you and Simon should immediately GPL the
driver for Prism2/2.5/3.0 that implements
the rest of the Devicescape solution for mBSSID that doesn't require
custom Prism2 firmware.

I, in turn, will immediately withdraw the statement and apologize in
public.

I understand why you can't do this for Atheros (because you use their
vxworks HAL, which will also never legally appear
in public as source code), but I don't see whats stopping you from
enabling the (non-OFDM) Prism chipsets?

Please explain.

Because from what I know, Neesus has provided custom Prism firmware
to several companies who have implemented "Virtual AP" functions that
use multiple BSSIDs on top of Prism chipsets.   At least two of these
companies are also Devicescape licensees.