hostapd bit rate setting, Rate not more than 18Mb by a signalof -42dbm ...

Beat Meier bmeier
Wed Oct 19 06:06:25 PDT 2005

Jouni Malinen wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 06:43:06PM -0300, Beat Meier wrote:
>

>>The second one is a madwifi problem but the first one not.
>>
>>If I set the bit rate with
>>  iwconfig ath0 bit XXX
>>the bitrate is set.
>>When hostapd or wpa_supplicant starts it set the bitrate back to auto.
>>Why this?
>>
>>Why hostapd doesn't leave this as it is??
>>And last but least. If I set the bitrate in 802.11g mode
>>fix the client is connected but network not operational (ping fails etc.)
>>

>hostapd and wpa_supplicant do not have any code that should touch
>bitrate configuration.

Where is the initialization of driver done for atheros cards ? Is this
only in driver_madwifi.c?
Because the bitrate is set to auto definitly.
What I have not done yet is the brand new madwifi driver. I will to test
it today with hostapd-0.4.4.

>>BTW: If hostap is used without authentication the network interface is
>>brought down and no more brought up.
>>You have to do an explicit ifconfig ath0 up that it works.
>>

>That sounds like something that should be fixed. I think that hostapd
>has been mainly (only?) used in WPA mode with madwifi driver and some
>details of plaintext mode have not yet been resolved.

Where do you "shutdown" the interface (which file), so I can have a look
at that ...

Thanks

Beat