Ad Hoc to Infrastructure (Readable post)

Rahul Long brainstrm
Mon Oct 3 05:09:52 PDT 2005

Hi Denis,
                    Thanks for that suggestion. I did try that too but did
not help.. Just a update on the original post, I did discover that i could
get from ad hoc to infrastructure with hostap now when i changed to the
1.5.6. firmware instead of the 1.7.1 that i was using earlier and STOPPED
AODV. However i cannot do this when i have implemented AODV which is crutial
for me as i am experimenting with extending the network in adhoc mode
without using another HOSTAP Ap or other commercial AP's.
I also had a suggestion from Sachin directly to me about enabling IP
forwarding, and default GW support as u suggested, i have that option
implemented. I have also tried setting wlan0 and eth0 on the same essid and
channel. All these options did not work when AODV is running..
As AODV uses hello and Route Request and Reply messages to establish route.
I think that siince it only binds with one interface when started (and i
have two in the laptop) i cant get hostap replying to those Hello or Route
request / reply messages in the same way.
BOTTOM LINE: HOSTAP WORKS for the Basic implementation so it should for the
part which includes AODV if i can get it to repond from 192.168.1.1 to Route
requests and replys from AODV on 192.168.2.1.
Question:
1.  Does HOSTAP Beaconing work in the same way as the AODV Route
Request/Reply messages. Can i use it to give AODV a chance to find a route
to 192.168.1.1 from 192.168.2.1.??
2. Is there any other feature of HOSTAP that could help in implementing
this?
3. I enabled prism2_param beacon_int and tried to use etheral to see if i
could see packets without any other data transmitted on the 192.168.1.0/24
network and i could not capture any beacon frames. did i implement it wrong?
and is it gonna be of use to use with AODV?

******************************** PAST POSTS*********************************

On Monday 03 October 2005 12:24, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
>On Sunday 02 October 2005 10:36, Rahul Long wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >                    I needed some advice on how to set up a adhoc to >
>infrastructure gateway. I have 2 wireless cards in the same laptop (Dell >
>Latitude) and am running Linux FC4 2.6.12 kernel.
> > wlan0 (Netgear MA401, Prism 2.5) is in hostap (master) mode at
>192.168.1.1 > and the second wireless nic eth0 (Dell Truemobile 1150) is at
>192.168.2.1 in > Ad Hoc mode. eth0 uses AODV-UU-0.9.1 to network and route
>with other PCs on > 192.168.2.0/24.
> > > I tried setting "192.168.2.1" and "192.168.1.1" on each Nic to be the
> > default gateway for each of those networks. though the laptop saw both >
>networks the other PC's on the AD hoc network did not see the
>192.168.1.0/24 > network.
>
>Because they were not told that 192.168.2.0 is their default gateway.

I meant 192.168.2.1, sorry.

On Sunday 02 October 2005 10:36, Rahul Long wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>                    I needed some advice on how to set up a adhoc to
>infrastructure gateway. I have 2 wireless cards in the same laptop (Dell
>Latitude) and am running Linux FC4 2.6.12 kernel.
>wlan0 (Netgear MA401, Prism 2.5) is in hostap (master) mode at 192.168.1.1
>and the second wireless nic eth0 (Dell Truemobile 1150) is at 192.168.2.1
>in Ad Hoc mode. eth0 uses AODV-UU-0.9.1 to network and route with other PCs
>on 192.168.2.0/24.
>
>I tried setting "192.168.2.1" and "192.168.1.1" on each Nic to be the
>default gateway for each of those networks. though the laptop saw both
>networks the other PC's on the AD hoc network did not see the
>192.168.1.0/24 network.

Because they were not told that 192.168.2.0 is their default gateway.

Show the ip addr and routing config of to-be-router box and of client boxes.
("ip a l; ip r l" for linux)

Hi Everyone,
                   I needed some advice on how to set up a adhoc to
infrastructure gateway. I have 2 wireless cards in the same laptop (Dell
Latitude) and am running Linux FC4 2.6.12 kernel.
wlan0 (Netgear MA401, Prism 2.5) is in hostap (master) mode at 192.168.1.1
and the second wireless nic eth0 (Dell Truemobile 1150) is at 192.168.2.1 in
Ad Hoc mode. eth0 uses AODV-UU-0.9.1 to network and route with other PCs on
192.168.2.0/24.

I tried setting "192.168.2.1" and "192.168.1.1" on each Nic to be the
default gateway for each of those networks. though the laptop saw both
networks the other PC's on the AD hoc network did not see the 192.168.1.0/24
network.
I also tried to make a bridge between the two networks on the laptop with
br0 set to 192.168.2.1 but that did not work, as pings did not pass between
networks.

Can anyone suggest a way to set up something like this where i can pass
between two mode's of networks using one laptop and 2 wireless nics in the
same laptop using hostap and Possibly AODV (I am using AODV as i was aiming
to extend the reach of the Network in adhoc mode.)
AODV uses hello messages to establish a route before transmitting and binds
while running to one Nic which i set as eth0 although i did try it on wlan0
without any difference.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Cheers.
Rahul