wpa_supplicant PSK question

Bryan Kadzban bryan
Tue Nov 22 09:35:01 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 11:07:17AM -0600, Bob Carlson wrote:
> I'm still confused. Using WPA(2)-PSK, the system still needs to carry out
> the 4-way handshake. It looks to me like eap_psk.c does that. And that
> seems to depend on eap.c and eapol_sm.c. I've probably just missed
> something, but I could use a little more help.

Nope, that's for EAP-PSK, not WPA(2)-PSK.  ;-)

I'd never heard of that security method before wpa_supplicant, but it
looks like basically EAP without the username.  (The only piece of
information used to authenticate users is the PSK.)  It's not the same
as WPA(2)-PSK, though, because I believe you can havee different PMKs
(with WPA(2)-PSK, the PMK is the PSK; when EAP is involved, the PMK can
be sent from the RADIUS server, depending on the EAP method).

The 4-way handshake used in all WPA and WPA2 methods is done in wpa.c.
(See, for instance, the wpa_supplicant_process_{1,3}_of_4 functions.)