Handoff with wpa_supplicant and madwifi driver

Bryan Kadzban bryan
Sat Nov 19 17:10:33 PST 2005

Stephan Schlumbohm wrote:
> But, when I try to roam from one access point to another,
> wpa_supplicant does not initiate a reassociation request to the new
> access point.

It's not supposed to -- userspace does not generally (AFAIK anyway)
handle management frames of any kind.

> Instead, it disassociates the old access point, then it performs the
> scanning and then finally goes through a full new authentication with
> the new access point.

Try looking at the various different ap_scan modes; it sounds like you
want one where the driver does the scanning and roaming.  But note that
not all drivers support all modes (or at least, I've heard that not all
of them support ap_scan=2, anyway -- I only use the Windows port at
work, so I only have to deal with the NDIS driver, which does support
that mode).