Very slow roaming or reassociation in WPA2 mode

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Nov 13 10:03:21 PST 2005

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 05:52:42PM +0100, Rob Vandermeulen wrote:

> I can connect fine with wpa_supplicant (0.4.6 version, ipw-1.0.8, ieee-1.1.6,
> fw 2.4, kernel 2.6.13 ) using wext, and the card connects fine to the 17:80
> AP (although the other one is much closer, a few meters from the test setup).
> Everything is fine, an then i disable the 17:80 radio. wpa_supplicants
> detects this very fast, and start to reassociate. This works, but takes
> somewhere between 30s-1minute. It first has to try a few times to
> reassociate, and when that works it just "hangs" while trying to reassociate
> somewhere in the process...

Have you tried ap_scan=1 setting? ap_scan=2 should, at least in theory,
be a bit faster, assuming the driver has a good roaming implementation.
However, it would be interesting to see what happens with ap_scan=1.

I would also like to see a wpa_supplicant debug log with time stamps (-t
added on the command line), so that it would be easier to figure out
where the delay was. I have not yet had a chance to test this kind of
roaming case with ipw2x00 myself, but I'll try to do this is at some
point with ipw2915.