hostapd + madwifi + external RADIUS mac authenication ONLY

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun May 8 17:07:02 PDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 02:54:05PM +0100, Chris Kearns wrote:

> I have spent many hours trying to get hostapd to authenticate client mac
> addresses off an external RAIDUS server (WITHOUT using WEP or WPA), and have
> had no success. I don't have access right now to the configuration files I
> used, but what I would like to know is if anybody has been able to do this
> with the madwifi driver?

This is not currently supported. madwifi driver takes care of all IEEE
802.11 authentication and association and the MAC address -based
authentication would be part of 802.11 authentication.. It should be
possible to make this work after association, but it may need some
changes in the driver and there would be a race condition with
authentication since hostapd would verify the MAC address only after the
data connection was already up. Better option would be to add new
mechanism for the driver to ask hostapd whether a given MAC address is
allowed to authenticate or not.