Optional WPA and RSN

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun May 8 12:48:56 PDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 07:28:04PM +0200, Pawel Foremski wrote:

> And here is my question: would it need a lot work (possibly hacking
> hostapd/drivers) to make hostapd allow both no security at all and RSN (or at
> least old WPA) at the same time on one access point?

In order for this to work reliably with all client implementations, the
AP would need to be sending out multiple beacon frames (one for each
security mode; usually called "multiple BSSID" or "virtual AP"). This
would need additional functionality from the card firmware/driver and
unfortunately, the current Prism2/2.5/3 firmware does not support it.