Poor performance when using WDS with a Senao NL-3054CB3 802.11g repeater

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Fri Mar 4 20:58:38 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 06:42:36PM -0800, Josh Green wrote:

> Now I'd like to add a Senao NL-3054CB3 802.11g repeater to extend the
> coverage of my Linux access point.  I configure it for WDS putting in
> the MAC of my embedded Linux system.  Then I add a WDS link to the
> hostap driver with the MAC of the Senao repeater.  The link works, but
> if I do a file copy I get about 40KBytes per second!
>
> Any ideas why I'm getting such poor performance with WDS?

I would suggest using a wireless sniffer to look at this; preferably one
that is able to receive IEEE 802.11g frames. WDS links do not usually
use any kind of association, so it is possible that the IEEE 802.11g
device believes that the other end is capable of receiving IEEE 802.11g
frames..

Another test would be to run a unidirectional (e.g., UDP stream)
throughput test in both directions. The IEEE 802.11b to the IEEE 802.11g
direction should get much better results if the IEEE 802.11g device is
indeed using OFDM rates.