Poor performance when using WDS with a Senao NL-3054CB3 802.11g repeater

Josh Green josh
Fri Mar 4 18:42:36 PST 2005

Hello, I have built a custom Linux wireless bridge/access point using
hostap.  I'm using 2 PCMCIA Senao SL-2011CDPLUS cards with kernel
2.6.11rc2 on the mips platform.  I upgraded the firmware on both cards
to v1.1.1 (primary) and v1.7.4 (station).  If I connect with a client
machine directly, everything works great and I can copy a file from the
device at about 600KBytes per second or so.

Now I'd like to add a Senao NL-3054CB3 802.11g repeater to extend the
coverage of my Linux access point.  I configure it for WDS putting in
the MAC of my embedded Linux system.  Then I add a WDS link to the
hostap driver with the MAC of the Senao repeater.  The link works, but
if I do a file copy I get about 40KBytes per second!

Any ideas why I'm getting such poor performance with WDS?  I know that
the bandwidth is essentially halved when doing this, but I would expect
a little more than 40K/s :(  Are there any parameters that I should
tweak to try and fix this?  I messed with the beacon interval and made
it 1000ms instead of 100, but that didn't seem to help any noticeable
amount.

Best regards,
	Josh Green