configuring wireless connection - beginner

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Jun 28 20:03:33 PDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:42:50PM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:

> At this point I thought I was getting somewhere.  so I changed my
> /etc/pcmcia/config file and added:
>
> device "hostap_pci"
>    class "network" module "hostap_pci"

hostap_pci is not used with PC Cards and as such, this should not be in
cardmgr configuration. If you have a PCI/mini-PCI version of Prism2.5/3
card, it should be enough to just load the hostap_pci kernel module with
modprobe. How this done properly depends on the distribution used.

> hydrogen:~# wpa_supplicant -d -Dhostap -ieth0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

If the interface is still eth0, I would guess you are still using
Orinoco driver, not Host AP driver.

> hostap_pci: 0.3.7 - 2005-02-12 (Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi>)
> hostap_pci: Registered netdevice wifi0

> wifi0: NIC: id=0x8013 v1.0.0
> wifi0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.0.5
> wifi0: STA: id=0x1f v1.3.3

> wifi0: registered netdevice wlan0

However, this here is looking much more like Host AP driver. Please note
that the interface name here is wlan0..

The station firmware version (v1.3.3) you are using is too old for WPA
support which makes wpa_supplicant refuse to use this card. In other
words, you would need to download a firmware upgrade to get v1.7.0 or
newer station firmware.