T-mobile WPA

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Jul 25 18:54:05 PDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 01:59:56PM -0400, Harold Naparst wrote:

> I'm able to connect to essid "tmobile1x" under Windows XP using T-mobile's
> Connection Manager.
> I put a packet sniffer (CommView) on it, but I'm not too sure what to look
> for. It clearly shows
> EAPOL protocol, but beyond that....
>
> If you want, I can send you the log...Since it is an evaluation version of
> CommView, only half
> the packets are visible.

If that log includes full IEEE 802.11 headers and management frames
(e.g., Beacon), it could be useful. In general, having a full log would
of course be highly prefered.

> Strangely, when I try to connect to the same SSID in Linux, iwlist scan
> shows only one network,
> "tmobile", which is their unencrypted network. How can they be hiding the
> "tmobile1x" SSID.
> Shouldn't it be visible as a separate SSID under Linux, too?

It's possible that the AP is using WPS and the "tmobile1x" SSID is
advertised with a WPS IE. This is an extension to the wireless code that
Microsoft added some time ago.