FATAL: Error inserting hostap ... Invalid module format

prosolutions at gmx.net prosolutions
Fri Jul 8 11:31:03 PDT 2005

> Freshly compiled hostap-driver-0.3.9 against Linux 2.6.12, when I try to
> load the modules I get errors like the following:
>
> # modprobe hostap
> FATAL: Error inserting hostap
> (/lib/modules/2.6.12-1/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/hostap.ko): Invalid
> module format
>

> Has anyone seen this error before?

Please disregard this message.  I don't know exactly what was causing
the problem, but it was not related to hostap.  For some reason I was
getting that error inserting all modules.  The kernel version had not
been changed although I did at one point run a Debian script 'make-kpkg
modules_install' to create a package for a different module and I think
it screwed something up.  Normally if I need to add another module I can
simply change the config and re-run make and there are no problems, so
this script must have done something.