specifying an AP?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Jul 5 09:00:32 PDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 11:59:31PM +0100, Robert Hutchison wrote:

> I've been trying to get wpa_supplicant to connect to my AP, but I keep on
> getting a neighbour's unencryped AP.

Are you using different SSID for the networks?

> Is there any way I can block the unwanted AP, or enforce wpa_supplicant to use
> only the one I specify?

Yes, if you were using ap_scan=1 mode..

> my wpa_supplicant.conf:

> SSID="elephanthouse"

This is not a valid configuration line.

> ap_scan=2

This makes the driver select which network to use. As long as you are
using different SSIDs in the networks, this should be enough. Actually,
I would expect the NDIS driver to select the WPA-enabled network
automatically even if the SSIDs were same.

> # Only WPA-PSK is used. Any valid cipher combination is accepted.
> network={
>         ssid="Elephanthouse"
>         bssid=000D54FC7018

The correct format for BSSID would be 00:0D:54:FC:70:18. However, this
is unlikely to be used with ap_scan=2 mode.

> ARGS_wlan0="-Dndiswrapper"

With ndiswrapper and NDIS drivers, wpa_supplicant has a bit less control
on which AP will be used. In practice, it is up to the NDIS driver to
decide what to do.