FC3, MA311 and hostap

Michael Walter michael.walter
Tue Jan 25 03:56:42 PST 2005

First of all I would like to send out a big "well done" to all members of
this list who help on improving such excellent software like "hostap"!

I run this software on a Debian-Machine with a PCMCIA-Adapter. This adapter
holds a Linksys-Cardbus Card. And this one has a PRISM III-Chipset and
works very well. "hostap_diag wlan0" shows:

> Host AP driver diagnostics information for 'wlan0'
>
> NICID: id=0x801b v1.0.0 (PRISM III PCMCIA (SST parallel flash))
> PRIID: id=0x0015 v1.1.0
> STAID: id=0x001f v1.4.9 (station firmware)
(I did an upgrade of the station firmware to v1.4.9.)

I intend to switch to a "real" PCI-Card now and found the Netgear MA311 at
eBay. I was also able to confirm about the Version 2.0 of this Card that is
known to have the Prism 2.5-Chipset built in. The only question left is if
there could eventually be some other versions of this card holding another
chipset which is not working with the hostap software? Does anyone know
about such hardware or is it save saying to use the MA311-Card because
there simply does not exist any other version numer of it pointing to
another chipset than Prism 2.5/3?

Because I use the hostapd in combination with a FreeRadius-Server which
uses X.509 certificates for granting access to clients I intend to run this
piece of hardware in "master mode = on" to build a rather secure w-lan
access point for other users in my house.

Thanks in advance for any hints on the Netgear MA311 - Card.

Best Regards
Michael Walter