Power Save Polling Mode (PSPM) supported?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Jan 23 11:41:32 PST 2005

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 08:27:47PM +0100, Whoopie wrote:

> I built a Linux AP with madwifi and hostapd. And it works.
> But my Intel 2200BG wireless card has the Power Save Polling Mode enabled.
> So the connection breaks after some time when the laptop is in battery mode.
> I read unter
> http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-006205.htm that this
> is a known problem with APs that don?t support PSPM.
>
> I know that I can disable PSP and change to CAM (Constantly Awake Mode).
> But the battery life is then reduced.
>
> Is PSPM implemented or supported by hostapd?

hostapd does not process data packets and as such, does not implement
PS-Poll processing. This functionality is usually (in practice, always)
implemented in the driver/firmware. In case of Host AP driver, this is
in the driver code and PSPM is indeed supported. As far as madwifi
driver is concerned, you should ask this on its mailing lists.