(no subject)

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Jan 4 22:01:10 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 09:51:02PM -0800, srinivas yarra wrote:

> I am a bit new to networking on linux. I am trying to
> port "wpa_supplicant" on Linux (2.4.19 kernel), xscale
> platform from Intel. When I run the wpa_supplicant on
> Xscale platform I get the following error on the
>
> socket(PF_PACKET, SOCK_RAW): Address family not
> supported by protocol

wpa_supplicant requires support for packet sockets. It sounds like your
kernel does not include this in its configuration.

> How can my linux kernel Image can include this
> protocol??

Reconfigure and build the kernel with CONFIG_PACKET included.

> If I compile the wpa_supplicant with USE_DNET_PCAP
> will this error go away??

Unlikely. I would assume that they use packet sockets on Linux..

Please also note that with most drivers, you need to have at least Linux
wireless extensions version 15 and that was added in Linux 2.4.21, so
you would need to either upgrade your kernel or at least include the
patch for newer wireless extensions version.