how to send frames in ad-hoc mode?

Leonardo Maccari maccari-thisaintpartofmyaddress-
Tue Jan 4 07:55:19 PST 2005

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 02:37:44PM -0800, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> No, standard ad-hoc/IBSS does not allow BSSID to be set. A random BSSID
> will be generated by the station creating the IBSS network. Anyway, I do
> not understand why this command would be needed in the first place for
> ad hoc networks..

I'm still trying to understand how things work, so to make the SM go on
and have some replies I was keeping a machine in master mode with regular
hostapd and another in ad-hoc mode. that's why the card doesnt' set the
bssid and I wanted to set it myself.

> There is indeed difference between hostapd (for Host AP driver) and
> wpa_supplicant in how the packets are sent. However, other driver
> interfaces (e.g., madwifi) for hostapd are also sending EAPOL packets
> with just an ethernet header.

ok, thanks for clarifying.

> pseudo_ibss mode is not a standard mode and I would prefer to see
> development done using the standard mode. Anyway, the implementation
> should mostly ignore BSSID in case of ad hoc networks, so this should
> not be much of an issue. If I remember correctly, pseudo IBSS mode is
> using all zeroes address for BSSID anyway.
>
> The combined supplicant/authenticator for IBSS should probably use just
> Ethernet frames for EAPOL packets in the same way as wpa_supplicant is
> doing it now. It will need some support from the driver in order to be
> able to get WPA IE from either Beacon frames or preferably Probe
> Response frames.

So to have a compliant implementation driver support is needed to add to
beacon and probe response frames a RSNIE in ad-hoc mode. Is it possible to
add this support for PRISMII chipsets? does the firmware lets the driver
control beacon and probe response IE?
then I suppose everything else should be fine since 802.1X authentication
and 4-way handshake is done with data frames so there is little change to
the existing.

ciao,
leonardo.

--
   Key fingerprint = 3129 C583 F03B 2E73 0115  C040 3489 0185 B592 19FE
 Obviously -thisaintpartofmyaddress- is not part of my real email address