Using wpa_supplicant with a Non-WPA supporter interface (e.g., ethernet)

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu Feb 24 19:17:31 PST 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 04:20:40PM -0800, Sanchez, Ricardo J wrote:

> Is this possible with wpa_supplicant? I want to use a plain Ethernet
> interface
>
> (which obviously provides no WPA support, much less wireless support),

Yes, this is possible with the latest development snapshot. I just added
a new driver interface, driver_wired.c, for wired IEEE 802.1X
authentication. README file has an example on how to use this
("Authentication for wired Ethernet").

> exercise new authentication methods over the wpa_supplicant
> infrastructure.

Is this just for testing a new EAP method or also for actually
authenticating wired devices? For testing EAP, I'm usually using
eapol_test which has an integrated IEEE 802.1X authenticator and RADIUS
authentication client. This allows testing directly against an
authentication server without need for an external authenticator.