ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Invalid argument

Max Grabert parisc
Sat Feb 19 21:37:26 PST 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:23:31 +0100, Marc Dirix
<marc at electronics-design.nl> wrote:
> When I start hostapd it generates the following error:
>
> alpha:/usr/src/hostap-driver-0.3.7# hostapd /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
> Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
> ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Invalid argument
> Could not enable hostapd mode for interface wlan0
> hostap driver initialization failed.
> rmdir[ctrl_interface]: Bad address
>
> hostap_pci driver is working correctly.

Maybe you have the same problem I'm having.
I just assume that you are trying to use hostap(d) on a
DEC Alpha AXP (64bit, little-endian) architecture.

I have a Netgear MA-311 (f/w 1.8.0) and it is working fine on
a HP PA-RISC workstation running a 32bit (big-endian) linux-2.6.10.
However when I'm using a 64bit kernel I'm getting similar/same
errors as you when trying to use the userspace utilities (hostapd,
prism2_param, ...). But the hostap kernel module is working fine.
(N.B.: Linux/PA-RISC currently only supports/uses 32bit userland).

IMHO this might indicate that there are some ioctl() issues in hostap,
eg. when the (32bit) userspace utilities try to connect.to the (64bit)
hostap kernel module.

Greetings,
  Max