New Encryption System Design that works with wireless drivers.

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Feb 19 09:44:37 PST 2005

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 11:13:17AM -0600, Robert Denier wrote:

> Let me know if you use this and areas where you would like improvements.
> Actual work on it will depend on time available of course.
>
> As part of my PhD work at the University of Missouri Rolla I developed a
> new encryption system and released it under the GPL.  It uses elliptic
> curve cryptography to create a system for secure and private
> communications at the network level.

Would you be willing to write something that compares this to IEEE
802.11i with CCMP (mainly from the security and privacy view point)? If
desired, you could pick random MAC addresses for IEEE 802.11i, too, to
match the privacy component in the current implementation.

ECC key negotiation should fit the model that IEEE 802.11i has for
adding new key management mechanisms. If done that way, this would have
much better chance of interoperating with existing networks and would
get more interested at least from me. The current design looks
prorietary and reminds me of WAPI and let me just say that that may not
be the best way of getting people interested in using this..

> were current.  I haven't decided how much documentation to put online or
> under what license at this time.

See my comment about proprietary designs above..